Wednesday 6 May 2015

Book Review: Me Talk Pretty One Day

What's good world? On to the book review then, shall we? Yes, no small talk this time round.

Now this book took me an insanely long time to finish. It's not a tough read, neither is it a long read. Honestly, it just was a case of unlucky timing; smack in the middle of the semester was when I got my hands on this sucker. As I look back, I can't help but wonder why, why did I choose to read it at that moment? Maybe to feel like a rebel, a rebel without a cause that's for sure.

The book stayed in my bag so long to the point where it began to get dog ears, being squished here and mishandled there. I felt sorry for it really, it's only getaway, my hands and in true getaway fashion the much needed break from the hustle and bustle that was my backpack, it did not come around as often or as fast as anticipated.



From the very beginning then. I came across this book last year as I scavenged the internet seeking a break from the dystopian world that I had become so accustomed to. After reading an excerpt, I was pretty much sold or was it just another case of pretty darn good enticement?

My expectations were an 'Eat, Pray, Love' type of story, a guy's version of 'Eat, Pray, Love',  'Eat, Pray, Love's'  inspiration. Can you blame me? The guy moved to Italy with his love interest, if anything, I expected more. Classic symptoms of a Young Adult addict.

The Lowdown: An autobiography. The life and times of David Sedaris. From having a lisp and having to go through mandatory speech therapy to a rather unpleasant coming-out-of-the-closet moment to his stint with drugs, not just any drugs, methamphetamine to all the odd jobs he's ever had, from the degrading personal assistant one to being a mover; a career that just didn't do him or his frame justice.

But what stood out the most? Humor, a weird sense at that, especially when it comes to matters his father, who is quite a character. Let's just say you do not have the slightest ideas of hoarding until you meet Sedaris' father.

So this book was not my cup of tea and judging from the Goodread's comments it was not a lot of people's either. Disclaimer: Scrolling down to the comments is never a god idea, brace yourself for spoilers, opinions that will affect your view and an overall biased opinion on everything related.

It wasn't all bad, especially if you are into sarcasm David Sedaris may just be king.

Have a good one!

No comments :

Post a Comment