Friday 8 August 2014

#WomanCrushNotWednesday: Siba Mtongana

I discovered Siba's Table on a lazy Sunday afternoon as I attempted to African thread my hair.  It was my first time doing it and I didn't anticipate how long it would take. With uncertainty in my mind, I flipped through the channels hoping to find something interesting to watch as I did my hair.

But if my memory serves me right,  my mum got a hold of the remote when I wasn't looking and tuned into her favorite channel "The Food Network", after CNN and BBC (what is it with grown ups and these channels? ).

And there she was.

I don't know what it was but there was just something different about "Siba's Table". Was it the kitchen which brought a very welcome homey feel rather than that you-can't-afford-this-kitchen feel? Or was it how she was able to reel me in as she effortlessly slaved away on an intricate dish? Or if I may dare ask, was it her looks?

It is safe to say it was all that and a bag of chips (I've always wanted to say that).

Her show is the first I have seen that actually incorporates friends and family. Not just seen in one episode; a family special,  a holiday special or at the end of the show the family/friends enjoying the sumptuous meal that you can't. Quite a realistic approach since one rarely cooks for themselves only, at least in Africa we don't, heck if you want to do that why not just order takeout!

In the actual inclusion of her family and friends,  her husband and adorable son are often seen shopping for an ingredient mommy needs or spending time together in the garden before the meal. As for her friends, they are seen gathered nowhere other than around Siba's Table enjoying everything from lunch to brunch or high tea.  What I'd give to be on that table!

Another aspect that I absolutely adore, is you always learn something new. From alternative ingredients for particular dishes to a store where you can buy custom brewed tea to alternative dishes to be served on various occasions; take picnics for instance, you don't have to serve the same old sandwiches, Siba's got the hook up on something new and fresh for you.

Siba's table is a literal inspiration and a bit addictive, so much so, whatever channel she is on, whatever time she's on is Siba time for me and when she says "For more of my recipes go to such and such a website," that url is already bookmarked.

All I can say is Siba, can I be your friend and sit at your table? If so comment below :)

No comments :

Post a Comment