Saturday 23 May 2020

You might want to sit for this one

There's an aroma of optimism in the air, So much so, that I have managed to see the silver lining in academic failure given that I have a solid four fails under my belt, and, having come out of one of them, well, alive I may have some nuggets of wisdom worth sharing. Surprise!  I am not an academic giant neither have I put up a front to suggest the same.

History has proven that I am in the business of taking Ls. I have suffered horrible class presentations, been what felt like the sole contributor to what was meant to be a group effort and worked on make or break assignments well past the wee hours of the morning in what can only be described as the joys and joys of seeking a higher education. In these situations, I have managed to come out with just enough to write home about other times, the level of injury, mostly mental, has been temporary and once a blue moon I come out on top. But what happens when you hit rock bottom? It is not just your fuel gauge reading E but your transcript as well.

You might want to sit for this one. Really sit with it, think about what could have possibly gone wrong, every single possibility that got you here is worth a quick ponder over. Steep in this for say a week, maybe, two. No longer.

In my experience, working through the pain of failure sooner rather than later, offers more benefits than shoving the very thought of studying to the furthest corner of my mind. For one, I have no option but to shift gear into P, for Panic early enough.

Compile your material from your first exam attempt in a bid to have a solid revision pack I am speaking to folk like me whose revision material is not central as it typically should be. Stationery becomes my bosom bud at this point; binders, dividers, flashcards, highlights, plenty of color gel pens. Order in these situations is more than welcome, comforting even. Think of it as having the vantage point with quite the view.

Map out your action plan. Whether it is to rewrite notes to give the old memory a jog, practice papers and be as specific as the tasks allow you to be, that way, nothing will be left to chance 

Get down to the real deal. You've got your plan, now, act on it. Have a schedule and stick to it. Cross off the tasks as you go.

Add on to your revision pack as you go eventually you will have a comprehensive reference point which you should know the ins and outs of. My personal goal is usually to be ready for the exam with nothing but time to spare.

I am currently in the throws of exam prep, solidifying a couple of things here and there. Though I cannot vouch for this tips to the death, why don't we compromise? Better work in progress than uncertainty, ey?  

No comments :

Post a Comment