Tuesday 20 October 2015

Skincare: Hydrate and Moisturise

Now let me tell you something about skincare. I do not know jack! I see all these moisturizers, masks, cleansers, scrubs and I wonder, what the heck? or as we like to say over on this side of the globe, #Wharrathose. So I may know just a wee bit judging from the product name dropping and a few fancy-shmancy terms like I don't know, exfoliate? Basically I hope you get the idea that I am certainly no pro  and that whole story up there is a disclaimer.

I would say two, maybe, three months ago my face was not a pretty site, at least to me it wasn't. Zit fest descended upon me and every time I saw my face, I went from student to self-proclaimed dermatologist. Pocking and prodding would go on for what seemed like hours on end. Popping a pimple here, picking a scab there. The situation was only escalating and honestly I never knew how vain I was until this bout hit.

My motto, If you are not happy about something, do something about it. This situation is certainly no different.

There I was, no plan, no strategy but most importantly no cash to purchase even a tube of a skin care product. This was going to be good. But this girl, she was not going to go down without a fight. I did the only thing I could do, go old school in this situation. Nothing but natural and organic products going in or on my body.

I tossed my petroleum jelly, of course it's still within close range and olive oil came into the mix. Almost immediately my skin became right and tight. Of course I cannot take all the credit for discovering all of this olive oil goodness. My sister had been using it for quite a while and it clearly worked. She was getting complements left, right and center so I just had to get me some to.

Getting into this save-my-skin mission, I honestly thought it would be one of those overnight  miracles. Roll out of bed one morning and Ka-Pow! I  would be zit free. Yup, it did not happen like that, not even remotely close to that. I woke up the next morning and every other morning after that for that matter and nada, it was time to go back to the drawing board.

Diet wise I was doing pretty okay,eating my vegetables and my fruits whether they were just meh or deserved to be on a menu of a five star restaurant. Junk food is an urban legend, at least in my life so when it comes to fatty foods that typically leave your skin experiencing a break out, I can safely say I am doing the least. This is where I think the phrase "common sense" should be completely done away with.

My water intake let's talk about that.  Eight glasses is the recommended intake, I was doing two. Common sense not so common, huh?

Since I am all about go big or go home, not really, eight glasses of water? Please, three liters is more like it. 2 glasses in the morning, a bottle after my mid-morning snack and another bottle after lunch. No way near done, this is just the midway point. We are back at it with 2 glasses before supper preferably at least half an hour before supper, 2 glasses after supper, 2 glasses before bed and a whole lot of bathroom breaks. You loving my life yet?

Again the cycle began. Poking, prodding, popping, picking, endless gazes at myself reconsidering my diet-just reconsidering-   then it came to me, maybe my hands and face should go long distance. Now that I think about it  maybe having a pet-cone around my neck would have sealed the deal much faster.

My skin now, well it is not blemish free but I am a lot happier. Goal achieved but the journey still continues. So what did we learn today kids? If you want your skin's fleekage levels amped up: water is the real O.G., olive oil is B-A-E and keep your hands where I can see 'em when showing your skin who's boss.

Little bonus point for you, throw in a little coconut oil if you want to add some flavor in your moisturizing fete.

Have a good one!

P.S. I don't mean to toot my own horn but 'Toot! Toot!' I took these photos myself and they are fire  by my standards , who am I kidding? VSCO deserves all the credit.This is also the All Rights Reserved.

No comments :

Post a Comment