Monday 2 February 2015

Media Monday #3:Clothesencounters, Olympic Ayres, Dan-i and Sia

Hello Internet! Can you tell that I am a danisnotonfire junkie yet or naah? Anyway, I have to say subjecting yourself to a blog series that is scheduled for a Monday is not for the faint hearted, especially when the mother of all Godzillas, procrastination, is breathing fire down your neck. But to keep a smile on your face I guess I have to put a brief frown on mine.

 Media Monday then!

Let's go to the world where I voluntarily and gladly get lost in, Youtube!

Today we are looking at none other than Clothesencounters. Jenn of clothesencounters has been like a well kept secret, of mine at least. I am not too sure the trail I followed to land in the Wonderland that is her channel, but I can tell you that I am one happy camper.

First up, what stands out most about this Youtuber is her constant infectious smile. If you ask me, it's the drug that got me hooked in the first place. It is no beauty-pageant smile, but a genuinely, warm smile, which on the smile Richter scale, is way better. Who would have thought that much could be said about a smile? Which brings me to why I love this channel reason number two. Jenn exudes such warmth, such humility that when she does a haul, it's almost as if they are your clothes too, when the video ends, that to-die-for Topshop jacket,will be hanging up there in your closet and these trips she's always on, she gives the feeling that she would like to take all her viewers and subscribers alike along with her on first class tickets. Lastly, her inability to be predictable. One video she is all nineties ready with a backward worn baseball cap, John Lennon glasses and a cropped hockey jersey, the next she is in some indie getup or a simple oversize tee for lounging. I could go on from here to Timbuktu about how Jenn may very well be "Queen" but I have got to keep it as short, sweet and as luring as possible to get you over to her channel. What? A sister's got to have ulterior motives.



About, no, not a week ago, two weeks ago I finished watching Got to Dance. May I just say that this season may have had the best acts yet. The ones that stood out in the last live shows? Original Kids and Dan-I and Sia.

Original Kids are a visual depiction of John Green's Paper Towns characters; Quentin, Ben and Radar except Original Kids can bust a move or two. When these little guys took center stage in an auditorium that looks to sit a few hundreds, it was like no one else was in the room with them. In their info inserts, Ben was clearly the one who said the best thing about being on the show was having Kimberley Wyatt's(their mentor) number; point of information, she was a former Pussycat Doll, Radar was the one patting everyone on the back when judges commended any of them and Quentin, he was the one who learned the most out of the whole experience. I ask again,Paper Towns or naah?


Then Dan-I and Sia. I will be honest enough to say when I heard they were another contemporary act, cold shoulder was given, next group was called out faster than you can say "dance". But as per usual, the joke was on me. Forget Bitter Harvest whom I gushed about here, Dan-I and Sia, dance is not sufficient to describe what they do. So maybe they gained favor in my eyes because they happened to dance to a Sam Smith number, Sam Smith whom I totally adore, but believe me when I say that these guys have a fire between them when they dance. To top it all of, they are a couple. They have constant eye contact with each other , even when they are not looking at each other.Do not mistake this to mean they are Abby Lee synchronized with each other. It is a connection, their connection, they are the connection. You felt the connection before they danced when Dan-I gave Sia that we-got-this look, when the music picked up and their faces just lit up and when the dance was over and you just did not want it to stop, and you could tell that they didn't want it to either with Sia tearing up and all. Writing about them just makes me feel more single than a single hotel room with Valentine's day just around the corner.


Of course I have to leave you with a playlist, not just any playlist, but the playlist. Let me introduce you to an Australian duo who have got me conspiring residence in a kangaroo's pouch after listening to their music. I remember craving for The Royal Concept on a Sunday morning and took to Youtube. After being my own DJ for a while I gave in to a Youtube playlist. The first song of theirs I heard was magic and that was a match made on Youtube. To this day I can't help but ask how a band like The Royal Concept and Olympic Ayres were on the same playlist, but it is what it is. I can confidently encourage you to visit their Youtube, tell them I sent you.

Happy reading y'all!

P.S. The book reviews, are totally in the works (notes to future self.)

No comments :

Post a Comment