Sunday 5 October 2014

Book Review: E. Lockhart's, We Were Liars

I knew this day would come. I wasn't sure of neither the day nor the hour but like a thief in the night, there it was. A book. I. Didn't. Like.





Now that I have your attention, I will tell you That I am a horrible liar. See what I did there? Read We Were Liars and started the post with a lie?

It's basically about Cadence Sinclair a member, first grandchild and heiress to the "perfect" Sinclair family. This picture perfect family begins to fall apart bit by bit, all the while Cadence or Cady being in the middle of it all . A freak accident leaves Cady with a tainted memory as she struggles to figure out why her whole world has since come crushing down after a particular summer.

The language use in this book is quite phenomenal and phenomenally vivid. It is on a whole other level of vividness that at some point I was lost at whether the description was just imagery or if it was the actual activity. For instance when Cady's father leaves them she describes it as a gun shot to her chest like so, "Then he pulled out a hand gun and shot me in the chest." If you happened to sit across from me when I read that line the increase in my eye circumference would have had you having a better understanding of the phrase "eye-opening",

A couple of minor cardiac arrests were experienced due to the oh so vivid imagery which I did not get used to. No complaints here since it kept me alert, awake.

Chronology in this book was rather daunting to follow but toward the end when everything begins making sense to Cady as she regains her memory it also began to make sense to me. Almost as if you are remembering with her. Slow clap for E. Lockhart is in order giving us an intense memory loss experience.

The characters. Well of course there has to be a dashing lad of interest and We Were Liars' is Gat. My view of Gat  is rather biased but I will tell you this he is no Augustus Waters neither is he a Peeta Mellark or even a Tobias "Four" Eaton. Gat is simply Gat, but he sure got some lines, he'll get you turning redder than a plum. Mirren, well she's just another teenage girl with an imaginary boyfriend wanting everything that is not yet within her reach.But Johnny, Johnny is like the ultimate bro like Paper Towns bro.


But if there's anything I loved from this book was the unforgettable lines, otherwise known as quotes like,

"Always be a little more kinder than you have to."

or

"He was contemplation and enthusiasm. Ambition and strong coffee."

The things I would do to be described that exotically. E. Lockhart make my dream come true?

But my all time favorite would have to be,

"Never take a seat in the back of the room. Winners sit up front."

Which has since become my mantra.

Although I wasn't going on and on about it to anything or anyone with ears or imagining myself as one of the characters or constantly looking for other books the author has written or any other bizarre fan girl activity you can think of, I think I may have missed out on something . I don't know . To find out I guess I'll have to read it again I hope you'll read it with me.

Don't be afraid to comment down below on anything #WeWereLiars. Happy reading y'all!!

No comments :

Post a Comment